Avatar: TLA Avatar: The Last Airbender (known as Avatar: The Legend of Aang in the UK, Brazil, and India) is an American animated television series airing on Nickelodeon. Originally slated to start November 2004, it debuted on TV February 21, 2005 and has also become available on iTunes. Produced at Nickelodeon Animation Studios in Burbank, California, and animated in South Korea (where many animated television series are animated), it was co-created and executive produced by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. In the United States, new episodes air Friday nights at 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on the Nickelodeon cable network. Wikipedia
Meta meta– or met– pref.
4. 1. Beyond; transcending; more comprehensive: metalinguistics. 2. At a higher state of development: metazoan.
Basically this is a community for in-depth, comprehensive discussion about aspects of the Nickelodeon show Avatar: The Last Airbender. Here you will find character analyses, well-thought-out theories, and essays about canon events and culture in relation to real-world events and culture.
Because this is intended to be an intelligent and thought-provoking community, new posts have to be approved. Your posts should be more than a couple of lines (hence in-depth), and should express some kind of plausible idea or theory. We won't accept just any crackpot fandom idea, including, but not limited to:
The Fire Nation is a desert Ignoring everything we know about the ecology of volcanic island chains (Hello, Hawaii? Japan?), we've seen the Fire Nation in flashbacks in "Zuko Alone," and it sure didn't look like a desert then.
Iroh is Zuko's real father Don't you think something like that would have come up by now, if it were true?
Ty Lee is a sekrit Airbender The name of the show is Avatar: The Last Airbender, not Avatar: The Last Airbender, Aside from that One Flexible Girl from the Fire Nation Who We Haven't Seen Bend Anything Besides Herself Yet
Zuko and Katara are Meant 2 B We will not accept discussions based solely on pairings if those pairings are non-canon.
In fact, we would like to avoid meta based on shipping entirely. If you include something shippy as part of a larger meta (i.e. an analysis of Mai's personality with something at the end as to why she would or would not be well suited to being with Zuko), that would be fine. But entire posts based on shipping are just asking for wank.
Zuko is gay I've said it before myself, and it can be kind of an amusing theory, but I don't think this is an appropriate topic for serious discussion. Making assumptions about anyone's sexual orientation based on stereotypical behavior just isn't right.
1. Agree to disagree. If you don't buy someone's idea, you can say so politely; after all, that's what discussion is about. But don't blow them off because you don't happen to like them, and don't use personal attacks to discount their argument.
2. Posts must be meta about Avatar. No talking about other shows, no posting pimpage to other communities or fic journals unless they are meta-related.
3. Don't be an ass. If you are unreasonably rude to someone, troll, or purposefully start wank, you will be banned.
4. Spell-check your entries before submission. It's built right there into the LJ entry submission page, so you have no excuse for submitting something full of typos. We especially don't want to hear meta about Saka and Kitara, thank you very much (acceptable spelling "errors" include Luten vs. Lu ten and Mei vs. Mai, because some people do this purposefully according to pronunciation).
5. Use the subject line to identify what your post is about. If you submit something with no entry in the subject, it will not be accepted.